Recently, the Texas Department of State Health Services released statistics about statewide marriage and divorce trends dating back to 1970, which are very interesting.
According to the agency, Texas’ marriage rates have actually been on the decline since 1984, with a little more than 184,000 marriages taking place in 2012. Harris County leads the state in the number of marriages performed each year, averaging a little more than 30,000 marriages.
Some other interesting Texas notes:
- In 2012, Rockwell County had the highest marriage rate for counties with 10,000 residents or more at 15.89 marriages per 10,000 residents.
- Guadalupe County had the lowest marriage rate in 2012 per 10,000 residents, with only 2.16 people married.
- Since hitting an all-time high in 1981 of more than 101,000 divorces, the number of divorces taking place in Texas has fallen—in 2012, a little more than 80,000 couples experienced a divorce.
- In 2012, more than 62,000 children were affected by divorces in Texas.
- Bell County had the highest divorce rate among counties with 10,000 or more people in 2012, with about 12.89 divorces per 1,000 residents.
- Harris County had the highest raw number of divorce filings in 2012, at 14,030.
These statistics are very interesting. Essentially, less people are getting married, which is resulting in less divorce filings even though the population is increasing.
How Can a Family Attorney Help Me With a Divorce and Child Custody?
Although these rates in Texas are declining, it does not mean that people are not seeking out divorce as an option if they are in toxic marriages.
If your marriage has turned sour due to issues with fighting or infidelity, speak to our divorce attorneys about how we can assist you. The end of a marriage can be a pivotal time in a person’s life, which is why our attorneys handle divorce cases with compassion and care. We can help you with issues like child support and the division of assets, which can be complex and cause disputes.
Julian, Crowder & Shuster, P.C. – Lewisville Divorce Attorneys