Could I Lose My Student Loans for a Drug Conviction?

We explain the basics behind student loans and drug convictions.

There are multiple consequences you could face if you are convicted of drug possession in Texas or other states. Depending on the nature of the charges and other factors, you could have a more difficult time securing employment or housing. You could face time in jail or prison. Many people may not be aware that you can also lose access to federal student loans or grants for a drug conviction.

You can lose eligibility for federal student loans for drug crimes, such as intent to sell or possession. However, there is a catch to this rule. In order to lose eligibility, the crime must have been committed while you were still receiving federal student aid. A hypothetical scenario can explain this rule further.

Let’s say, for instance, that you were arrested and charged with possession of marijuana in February, while you were enrolled in college courses and receiving federal student loans. You are later convicted of the crime in July. In this case, you could become ineligible for student loans because the crime was committed while you were still receiving federal aid. If the crime occurred in June (when you were not enrolled or receiving aid), then the conviction may not bar you from receiving federal aid.

You may be thinking “well, I could just go to college in California because recreational marijuana is legal there for adults over the age of 21.” Unfortunately, you may still not be eligible for aid even if you move to a state that does not consider marijuana possession illegal.

You can either lose access to federal student loans permanently or temporarily. It would depend on the nature of the charges and other factors. Lying about your criminal history on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application is a felony, as it is a federal document.

Facing Criminal Charges? Speak to Our North Texas Criminal Defense Attorneys

If you or a loved one are facing criminal charges, then you should speak to a criminal defense attorney who can defend your rights. You may speak to one of the North Texas criminal defense attorneys at Julian, Crowder & Shuster, P.C. by calling (972) 315-6222 or by using our online case review form.

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *